Saturday, May 21, 2011

Dodging Another Rapture Of Doom

Well for all those people who read the news today you will be aware that the world did not end.  Both the holy and unholy folk of the land are still here.  Well except for all those who didn't make it, my condolences.   It looks like we managed to dodge another religious doomsday.  Thank God!  (hehe, sorry I couldn't resist) So much for Harold Camping's math formula, (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) = May 21, 2011 @ 6pm local time. My bet is on (666 x 666) + (666 x 666) = Time to send me more of your donations. 

Today while I was waiting for all the naked floating people to go by I managed to finish my bills, work on my budget, put supper into the slow cooker, bake chocolate chip cookies, and go for a walk with the dog.  Now granted it is pretty overcast and cloudy here but I figured that once the whole "rapture" thing started that the clouds would clear up so that god would give all the rest of us dammed souls a good view of the goings on, because it wouldn't really be all that much fun for him to torture us for the next six months without everyone being in terror of the coming apocalypse.  Then again if he did give us the heads up suddenly there would be a raft of repenting going on, and where would the fun be then eh?   Oh well let the cognitive dissonance start now.

But all joking aside, there are many, many activities related to "Rapture Mania" of the past few months which I find to be so sad.  To begin with much of the millions and millions of dollars that Camping received from the other crazies out there went to advertising this apocalypse.  Hasn't there been a few hundred years of advertising for it in their bible?  Wouldn't this money have been so much better going to other deserving organizations, such as, the Heart and Lung Society, the Haitian relief fund, the Japanese, me?  Think of the poor schmuck who cashed in his life savings of $140,000 to run ads in New York. I bet he's feeling pretty stupid right about now.  Oh and poor.  

I really want to know what exactly it is about most religions which makes it's followers swoon with delight at the concept of the end of the world?  Sure I know that there are some really shitty things that are happening around the globe, there are floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, wars, and famine.  Unfortunately there always has been and there always will be.  But then there are some really cool kick-ass things as well.  People helping people, the smell of fresh cut grass, a baby's unadulterated laugh, a new book yet to be read, the sound of a loon calling on a still lake, being kissed by your dog (well okay that one may not be that great).   Every single day brings so many good things with it but most of us are too busy to stop and enjoy the smell of rain in the air, or the sunshine on our faces.  In fact many of the righteous are trying to figure out ways of stopping those moments permanently for as many people as they can.  I want to know why.  I also want to know if anyone is working on medication for this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment