Thursday, December 22, 2011

Happy Winter Solstice

Yippee!  Today the sun is finally going the other direction.  Which is pretty fine with me even though I am still on sabbatical I don't like the whole concept of the day being so short.  I know one way to help solve it would be for me to go to bed earlier and get up earlier so I have more daylight during the day, but I don't want to.  I spent soooooooo many years having to get up at 4:30am for work that the thought of having to get up early now still gives me the heebie-jeebies. 

It was a pretty warm day today so I took the hound and walked out to the back forty and around and about.  The hound was beyond thrilled.  She did some serious jumping in puddles, ditches, creeks, and the lake.  I decided that I needed to cut down some stumps that my cutter-snipper couldn't get at so I fired up the chain saw and went to town on them.  I had to stop because the chain decided to come off the bar, and wouldn't you know it, once I got it back on and working again it started to rain, so I went back into the shack and baked some chocolate drop cookies.  So I am like a combination of Dora Domestica and Paul Bunyan, you can call me Dora Bunyan. 

Me, and Mr Master Of All Trades, worked on the plumbing for the washer and dryer today.  This means that I might actually be able to dry clothes during the winter and not have them smell like moldy basement and wood smoke.  And...the best thing of all...I will probably be able to wash more than just a pair of pants and a T-shirt at one time as the washing machine and dryer are like regular sized ones!  It makes me warm and tingly all over. 

Kitpu Manor, aka The Eastern Shack, is still very much a work in progress, much more progress is needed to get it to the point where it is presentable, but things are still moving.  *Knock on wood* it looks like I found a person who can actually finish my kitchen for a reasonable cost.  This is a very good thing because it means that we do not have to do the cupboards ourselves, that is one stress I wasn't looking forward to at all.  The guy said he was going to start the cupboards mid-February, which means that we will have to rip out the existing cupboards, rip out a wall or two, take down the ceiling, rip the lino off the floors, change out a window, extend the wall, add R20 insulation, put up drywall, paint, redo the ceiling, paint the ceiling, change out the lights, plumb in a place for a dishwasher, and put down the hardwood all by the end of February.  Groan.  All this while not having a kitchen to cook in.  It looks like we will be barbecuing a lot.  Hopefully there won't be too many nor'easters to make it a lot less fun. 





No comments:

Post a Comment