Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sweating While Talking

Today was a day which will go down in history as the day where glaciers officially formed in the deepest levels of the abyss.  You see anyone who knows me knows that I have a little bit of an aversion to the telephone, which is a condition I developed from my days where I spent vast periods of time chatting on the phone all the live long day.  It became a titch bit better once the whole email thing became an acceptable form of communications for doing business, but even so I still spent so much time on the phone that I had to - a) buy a headset because my neck and shoulders got screwed up from trying to hold the phone while typing on the computer, b) had to go to massage therapy for years to try and reverse the above problem, c) had to have my desk and chair ergonomically tested and replaced so I could continue to do my job.  Anyway I developed a form of dislike for talking on the phone that boarders on pathological hatred.  I would rather pick ticks off the dog than actually spend time talking on the phone (330 by the way).  But today...today I went all the way over to the dark side and still haven't recovered.  Today I was on the phone for six hours straight.  You read that right....six hours....all in one shot, all to one person.  Thank dog for speaker phone, I prepared, cooked, and ate supper during the conversation, swept the floor, did two loads of laundry, made the bed, fed the dog and cat, sat on the deck and drank coffee, moved to the living room and drank water, went to the bathroom, twice, let the dog out, let the dog in, let the dog out, let the dog in, let the dog out, let the dog in...etc. 

My conversation was with a friend who I hadn't spoken to in a long time, and who is going through a rough time in her life.  We chatted about family, and friends, old times, and new, dogs and babies, houses and jobs, sad things and happy things, doctors and medicine, mothers and fathers, good things and bad.  It was a good long talk.  I think it might even be a real break through for me, I didn't feel like I wanted to open a vein at any time through out the call.  I had plans to head into town and take care of a few things but by the time I hung up everything was closed and I didn't even care because...wait for it...tomorrow is another day.  Can you believe it?  I think this whole not working thing has finally sunk in and I don't feel cheated out of my time.  Because that is what I always used to feel like whenever I would have to get on the phone while at home...cheated. 

Actually it is probably a good thing that I didn't go into town today because while I was talking on the phone the weather went from slightly overcast and cool to slightly overcast and warm, muggy, and uncomfortable.  I have been enjoying the past couple of weeks of sunny, warm, yet with a hint of coolness to the wind.  Today if felt as if someone had turned on the steam room and forgot to turn it off.  It was yucky.  And the worst part about it is that I had opened all the doors and windows as per usual and all it did was suck the coolness out of the house and make it just as hot and muggy inside as out.  Note to self, close all doors and window tomorrow before the temperatures heat up too much. 

Oh and as I was looking at Facebook this morning a friend of mine had posted a link to The Oatmeal site and reminded me that I hadn't checked it out forever.  So I spent some time this evening catching up on his craziness and ran across this old post.  http://theoatmeal.com/story/twilight  I remember seeing this several years ago before I had even heard of the whole Twilight thing and laughed my ass off, it is still funny.  If you haven't had the opportunity to check out this site I would totally recommend it.  Just remember not to take a drink before reading some of his comics, it wouldn't be good for your keyboard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment