Monday, March 4, 2013

Jail Break!

Lately I have been contemplating that idea of letting the cat out of the house.  Right now she is specifically a house cat.  There are a couple of reasons for that.  1) I read that cats are responsible for the deaths of 4 billion animals, including 500 million birds in the US alone.  And I cannot help but notice that the sounds of bird call has seriously been reduced since I was a child.  and 2) The vet said that cats only get leukemia from other cats when they get bit and scratched as they fight. 

But although I am okay with the cat staying in the house and stalking house flies and spiders, I also feel somewhat guilty whenever she makes an escape attempt when the doors are opened because I figure that she should have a little more freedom.  Of course she also does instantly make a run for a closet as soon as anyone opens one in the house.  And I definitely do NOT feel guilty about not locking her into the closets. 

4 comments:

  1. Zilla's Other HalfMarch 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM

    Ya, and the loss of all the song birds in the world would have nothing to do with PCB's, PCP's or any other chemical, war, planes, city scapes or any other by product of there being too many humans on this frail planet.....

    Just saying.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly right, with the bird population already under attack on so many other fronts, brittle eggs, poisons, genetic defects, etc, I just feel a little guilty adding to the danger. Albeit short and tiny.

      It's a conundrum for sure. One which I am wrestling with. I know the kidlet has started letting her felines out. The good news is that having been house cats for so long they aren't big into being outside for long stretches of time, so perhaps time will eventually solve my delemma.

      Delete
    2. Of course this issue is mine, and mine alone, what others choose to do with their animals is their decision (well unless you include the woman I used to live next to who kept getting the cat du jour and allowed them to roam free on the streets...four dead cats later and she was still doing it when I left).

      Delete
  2. What? I am outraged that I was not informed of this monstrous fact! I was given to understand that cats are simply little self impelled bits of furniture that 'look nice' around the house! Telling me that they are little murder machines just spoils my day. I want my money back!

    ReplyDelete